Upcoming Posts

News to Know - Mondays
Dictum Diei - Tuesdays & Fridays
Verseday - Thursdays

Tuesday 22 September 2009

Weather Vanes and Suicides: Poetry Day 1

Here are some poems I wrote a while back. They both won minor awards in a small poetry competition, but I go to a really small college, so that doesn't really mean much. At any rate, I think poetry is an important art, so I thought I'd share some of my own. Cheers.





With His Finger - D. Araujo

I watched him do it
the man
he had a gun
it was black like when I close my eyes
and I watched him

I watched him because he was there
there weren't any people around just me
then he did it
with his finger this one
he didn't know I was watching
I didn't know I was either
I thought he was a man with a gun
not a leaky hole

it was red red on the ground
and I read it and it said
something but I couldn't hear it
because my ears were ringing
and then I couldn't see
because his eyes were staring

* * *
as I faced the mirror
it occurred to me
that
whenever someone dies
you have to clean up
the mess

a suicide dies to make a point about possession
but instead
robs himself
of the one thing
he never had

I killed myself
only because I wanted
to make a sound
as big as God
with my index finger

1 comment:

  1. I really, really like the second half of this poem... incredible.
    Random question, because I'm too exhausted at this point of the day to give any further comment on the poem at the moment: do you read/like T.S. Eliot?
    (btw this is Marianne... i don't know how to post on here, so I'll just do it as anonymous haha.)

    ReplyDelete